What does an Initial Assessment Involve?
During this confidential assessment, I gather the information I need to create an informed treatment plan. I may ask for more details in certain areas, but ultimately this is where you tell me your goals and how your pain/injury is limiting you. This might include movement patterns (e.g. perform a squat), the range of motion of your joints, orthopedic tests and manual palpation of your body structures. This will help me determine not only where you are feeling discomfort, but also the root of the problem.
After the assessment, we will discuss an individualized treatment plan and discuss what I feel is important moving forward. Also note that we must consider other factors such as occupation, sleeping and, postural habits, and your overall activity level to determine a plan that is right for you.
What does Treatment Involve?
A Manual Osteopath will utilize the following types of treatment techniques based on findings from our initial assessment. Please note that treatment will vary depending on your personal needs and how your body presents.
- Joint mobilizations
- Muscle energy techniques
- Soft tissue techniques
- Myofascial release
- Cranial-sacral therapy
- Visceral mobilization
- Stretching and strengthening exercises
Receive OMT for many previously diagnosed conditions:
- Pre and post-natal discomfort
- Infertility or pelvic pain
- Tension headaches and migraines
- Back pain and neck pain
- Temporomandibular Joint (jaw) pain
- Joint pain and stiffness
- Repetitive use injuries (strains and sprains)
- Digestive problems (constipation, reflux)
- Scars or adhesions from surgery
- Post-surgical healing
- Postural issues
Amanda de Boer has been in healthcare for 8 years, formerly as a Medical Technician in the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF). She later gained experience as a military fitness instructor, leading physical training programs and conducting annual fitness tests. Amanda also volunteered with the CAF’s Athletic Trainer program, working as a Medic for CAF regional and national sporting events.
Amanda’s passion for yoga developed into the ability to teach and lead others in 2013. She taught at Bliss Ann Green Yoga in Barrie, ON, and for the Canadian Forces Welfare and Morale Services in Borden, ON. Her most recent and memorable venture was volunteering with the Acadia Active Aging Program at Acadia University, teaching chair yoga to seniors within the community of Wolfville, Nova Scotia.
Previous life experiences have led Amanda to her present career as a Manual Osteopath. As a woman with a passion for health and wellness, Amanda has chosen to focus on women’s healthcare issues and support women in achieving their health goals. As a Mercier Fertility Specialist, she is most passionate about helping women with fertility challenges, pelvic pain and pre and post-natal discomfort.
Education and Training:
- Mercier Fertility Specialist - Mercier Therapy Professional Training – Saint Charles, IL.
- Diploma in Osteopathic Manual Practice - National Academy of Osteopathy – Toronto, ON.
- Bachelor of Kinesiology - Acadia University – Wolfville, NS.
- Yoga Instructor 300 YTT - Bliss Ann Green Yoga – Barrie, ON.
- Primary Care Paramedic -Justice Institute of British Columbia - Chilliwack, BC.